COMPETITION ENTRY PERIOD HAS BEEN EXTENDED THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2022
Competition Rules & Guidelines
Laughing Crow Artisans is sponsoring this art competition in order support and bring awareness to artists, but also to raise funds to complete renovations on the 100+-year-old Brown Hotel Building in which we are located. The building is a registered cultural property in the State of New Mexico. We have renovated a portion of the first floor and opened our gallery in April 2022. We would like to continue renovations on kitchen, dining room, classroom and studio space, as well as 14 upstairs guest rooms where we plan to host guests of the Artist Retreat workshops which we plan to hold several times a year.
Please help us make this happen by entering!
- All individuals entering must be at least 18 years of age to accept cash prizes.
- Competition is open to residents of any state or country where acceptable by law.
- Currently exhibiting artists in Laughing Crow Artisans Gallery are prohibited from entering the competition.
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee of $20 (US Dollars).
- Artists are allow to enter up to three separate artworks in any category.
- All entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid via credit or debit card or Paypal upon uploading your entry. Please make sure you have read these rules completely before entering. Any artwork submitted that does not following these guidelines will be rejected.
- We must have a minimum of 50 entries in order to move forward to the Judging Round. All entry fees will be refunded if the competition is canceled.
- The top 10 finalists making it through the judging will have their winning artwork displayed in the Coyotes and Wolves Exhibit at Laughing Crow Gallery, 302 Maxwell Ave, Springer, NM 87747. The exhibit will open March 4, 2023 and end June 4, 2023.
- Cash prizes totaling a minimum of $1000 will be award to Grand Prize Winner (50%), Second Prize Winner (30%), and Third Prize Winner (10%), Two Honorable Mentions (5% each).
- Winners will be notified by email.
- If winners do not respond to the email within 7 days after the end of the competition, another finalist may be selected by Laughing Crow Artisans.
The following categories of artwork will be accepted. The competition will be judged across all categories. The artwork must be able to be displayed on a wall.
- Acrylic Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Gouache Paintings
- Pastel Paintings
- Mixed Media
- Pencil Drawings
- Charcoal Drawings
- Pen & Ink Drawings
- Textile Art
- Glass Art
- Digital Art (must specify software used)
- Other (must be displayable by hanging on a wall)
- The competition is open for entries by beginning August 1, 2022 and ending December 31, 2022. You must be registered and logged in before you may upload any entry.
- Your composition must include at least one coyote or wolf and may be painted, drawn, or photographed in any style. The goal is to enter a piece of fine art for exhibit and sale in Laughing Crow Artisans Gallery.
- All entries must be original compositions and cannot be based on anything that has been published elsewhere. Copies of other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. All entries must be 100% created by the artist entering and cannot have been painted in an art class.
- Paintings from photographs that the artist took for reference are eligible.
- Reference photos may be used for parts of the artwork as long as the photo is copyright free or the artist has permission from the photographer to use the photo. For example, a reference photo of a crow may be used if photographed by someone else (with permission or copyright free).
- Images created by Artificial Intellengence through prompts is not allowed.
- Painted over photographs are not allowed.
- Laughing Crow Artisans reserves the right to refuse any artwork if the method with which is was created is questionable.
- Artworks entered in the competition must be no larger than 30-inches on the longest side and must be able to hang on a wall. Unfortunately, this is a restriction due to exhibit space that is available in the gallery.
- Entries do not need to be new. Older artwork will be accepted. All artwork must be in gallery exhibit condition.
- Artwork must be installed with hanging hardware (wire hanger for any piece larger than 20-inches on the longest side, smaller piece may use sawtooth hangers).
- Artworks must be framed unless painted on gallery wrap canvas or panels with finished edges.
- Watercolor, pastel, guoache, pencil, charcoal, pen and ink, printmaking, and mixed media must be framed under glass or in a manner that the artwork cannot be touched.
- Artworks must have no damage such as scratches on frames or warped canvases.
- Any finalist's artwork that arrives for display at Laughing Crow Artisans that does not meet the guidelines will be disqualified and ineligible for exhibition as well as cash prizes).
- Laughing Crow Artisans reserves the right to reject or not display any image that it feels is inappropriate or distasteful, if the image’s resolution quality is poor, if we believe the image is a copy of another painting, or it does not meet the above criteria.
- Only electronic submissions through the competition’s official website will be accepted. Entries received by email, mail or physical delivery in the form of photographs, discs, or actual paintings will not be accepted.
- Please add email@example.com to your safe senders/contacts list in your email program to ensure notifications are received. Always check SPAM/JUNK folders for important notifications.
- Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1500 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format.
- All artworks will be judged by Laughing Crow Artisan owner and artist, Jane Mortimore, who will select the best 10 from all entries to participate in the Coyotes and Wolves Exhibition at Laughing Crow Artisans. She will also declare the Grand prize, 2nd prize, and 3rd prize winners, and two honorable mentions.
- Judging will be completed on February 1, 2023, and winners will be notified on or before that day.
- Winners will be posted on the Laughing Crow Artisans website at the end of the competition and during the Coyotes and Wolves Exhibit.
- Exhibiting artists will be required to have their artwork shipped or delivered to Laughing Crow Artisans by February 20, 2023.
- Artists will be responsible for any shipping charges to deliver their artwork as well as return shipping.
- Artists may hand deliver and pick up the artwork to Laughing Crow Artisans by appointment.
- The exhibit will open March 4, 2023 and end June 4, 2023.
- Exhibiting artists must agree to sell their artwork in the exhibit and may set their own prices. Laughing Crow Artisans takes a 30% commission on any artworks sold. Laughing Crow Artisans will be happy to assist artists in setting prices.
- Laughing Crow Artisans pays out any artworks sold in the galllery on the first of the month following the sale.
- Some artists may be asked to extend their exhibit and provide additional artworks.
Use of Your Images
Any images entered in this competition may be used in promoting the competition on our eCommece Website https://www.laughingcrowartisans.com, on social media, and in emails and newsletters. They may also be used in promotion of future art competitions sponsored by Laughing Crow Artisans.