Competition Rules & Guidelines
Laughing Crow Artisans is sponsoring this art competition in order support and bring awareness to artists, but also to raise funds to complete renovations on the 100+-year-old Brown Hotel Building in which we are located. The building is a registered cultural property in the State of New Mexico. We have renovated a portion of the first floor and opened our gallery in April 2022. We would like to continue renovations on kitchen, dining room, classroom and studio space, as well as 14 upstairs guest rooms where we plan to host guests of the Artist Retreat workshops which we plan to hold several times a year.
Please help us make this happen by entering and voting!
- All individuals entering must be at least 18 years of age to accept cash prizes.
- Competition is open to residents of any state or country where acceptable by law.
- Currently exhibiting artists in Laughin Crow Artisans Gallery are prohibited from entering the competition.
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee of $20 (US Dollars).
- Artists are allow to enter up to three separate artworks in any category.
- All entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid via credit or debit card prior to entering. Please make sure you have read these rules completely before entering. Any artwork submitted that does not following these guidelines will be rejected.
- The top 10 finalists making it through the two rounds of judging will have their winning artwork displayed in the Crows and Ravens Exhibit at Laughing Crow Gallery, 302 Maxwell Ave, Springer, NM 87747. The exhibit will open October 1, 2022 and end December 17, 2022.
- Cash prizes totaling a minimum of $1000 will be award to Grand Prize Winner (50%), Second Prize Winner (30%), and Third Prize Winner (10%), Two Honorable Mentions (5% each). The total amount of cash prizes available could increase above the $1000 minimum depending on the number of paid votes collected during the Public Voting Round.
- Winners will be notified by email.
- If winners do not respond to the email within 7 days after the end of the competition, another finalist may be selected by Laughing Crow Artisans.
The following categories of artwork will be accepted. The competition will be judged across all categories.
- Acrylic Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Gouache Paintings
- Pastel Paintings
- Mixed Media
- Pencil Drawings
- Charcoal Drawings
- Pen & Ink Drawings
- The competition is open for entries by beginning July 15, 2022 and ending September 8, 2022. You must be registered and logged in before you may upload any entry.
- Your composition must include at least one crow or raven and may be painted, drawn, or photographed in any style. The goal is to enter a piece of fine art for exhibit and sale in Laughing Crow Artisans Gallery.
- All entries must be original compositions and cannot be based on anything that has been published elsewhere. Copies of other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. All entries must be 100% created by the artist entering and cannot have been painted in an art class.
- Paintings from photographs that the artist took for reference are eligible.
- Reference photos may be used for parts of the artwork as long as the photo is copyright free or the artist has permission from the photographer to use the photo. For example, a reference photo of a crow may be used if photographed by someone else (with permission or copyright free).
- Computer-generated, printed or painted over photographs are not allowed.
- Laughing Crow Artisans reserves the right to refuse any artwork if the method with which is was created is questionable.
- Artworks entered in the competition must be no larger than 30-inches on the longest side. Unfortunately, this is a restriction due to exhibit space that is available in the gallery.
- Entries do not need to be new. Older artwork will be accepted. All artwork must be in gallery exhibit condition.
- Artwork must be installed with hanging hardware (wire hanger for any piece larger than 20-inches on the longest side, smaller piece may use sawtooth hangers).
- Artworks must be framed unless painted on gallery wrap canvas with finished edges.
- Watercolor, pastel, guoache, pencil, charcoal, pen and ink, printmaking, and mixed media must be framed under glass or in a manner that the artwork cannot be touched.
- Artworks must have no damage such as scratches on frames or warped canvases.
- Any finalist's artwork that arrives for display at Laughing Crow Artisans that does not meet the guidelines will be disqualified and ineligible for exhibition as well as cash prizes).
- Laughing Crow Artisans reserves the right to reject or not display any image that it feels is inappropriate or distasteful, if the image’s resolution quality is poor, if we believe the image is a copy of another painting, or it does not meet the above criteria.
- Only electronic submissions through the competition’s official website will be accepted. Entries received by email, mail or physical delivery in the form of photographs, discs, or actual paintings will not be accepted.
- Please add email@example.com to your safe senders/contacts list in your email program to ensure notifications are received. Always check SPAM/JUNK folders for important notifications.
- Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1500 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format.
There will be two rounds of judging.
Round 1: Public Voting
- Voters will be allowed 1 free vote every 24 hours.
- Voters may elect to buy blocks of votes to boost your favorite artwork. Purchased votes help increase the total amount of the cash prizes.
- Competitors are encouraged to solicit votes through social media, email, newsletters, etc., to get as many votes as possible
- The public voting round starts on August 1, 2022 at 12:00 AM MST and ends September 15, 2022, at 11:59 PM MST. Since public voting starts before the end of the entry period, it is advantageous to get your entries in early!
- An artist may only have one artwork move to Round 2 Judging. If they have more than one entry with highest votes, the one with the absolute highest vote will remain and the others will be replaced by the next highest voted artwork by another artist.
- At the end of the public voting round, 20 artworks with the highest number of votes will move to the Round 2 Judging.
- Laughing Crow Artisans reserves the right to disqualify votes if it appears to be fraudulent (e.g., more votes being cast than is possible for a human being to cast).
Round 2: Judging
- Round 2 will be judged by Laughing Crow Artisan owner and artist, Jane Mortimore, who will select the best 10 out of the 20 public voted finalists to participate in the Crow and Raven Exhibition at Laughing Crow Artisans. She will also declare the Grand prize, 2nd prize, and 3rd prize winners.
- Judging will be completed on September 16, 2022, and winners will be notified the same day.
- Winners will be posted on the Laughing Crow Artisans website at the end of the competition and during the Crow and Ravens Exhibit.
- Exhibiting artists will be required to have their artwork shipped or delivered to Laughing Crow Artisans by Septeber 25, 2022.
- Artists will be responsible for any shipping charges to deliver their artwork as well as return shipping.
- Artists may hand deliver and pick up the artwork to Laughing Crow Artisans by appointment.
- The exhibit will open October 1, 2022 and end December 17, 2022.
- Exhibiting artists must agree to sell their artwork in the exhibit and may set their own prices. Laughing Crow Artisans takes a 30% commission on any artworks sold. Laughing Crow Artisans will be happy to assist artists in setting prices.
- Laughing Crow Artisans pays out any artworks sold in the galllery on the first of the month following the sale.
- Some artists may be asked to extend their exhibit and provide additional artworks.
Use of Your Images
Any images entered in this competition may be used in promoting the competition on our eCommece Website https://www.laughingcrowartisans.com, on social media, and in emails and newsletters. They may also be used in promotion of future art competitions sponsored by Laughing Crow Artisans.